Wow what a holiday. I loved every second of it. It was the first time in a while that I had taken 3 weeks off and man did I make the most of it. I think that in that 3 week break there was only possibly 2 days that I didn’t fly. Any way here is a small compilation of where I was over my holidays.
Absolutely loved my TBS unify. I had a stack on my QAV-R quite a while back now and broke the mount that the pigtail went through. Being me I just drilled a hole near where the other one was and pushed it through. The problem looks like it may have been a tad to close to the vtx and the pigtail had slowly came away from the board. In saying that, it was a good 6 months ago this happened and I have still had reception, and even now that I have retired it, it still gives an image. I noticed something was wrong when the plastic had pretty much melted away and having it at 800 mw to get somewhat near what I would get at 25 mw. I tried re-wrapping it and using a cable tie to keep it all close, but 6 months does a bit of damage. I will get another one but a HV one, when I can find one. Team Blacksheep do make quality gear.
As I have been having issues with my ESC’s, I thought I would have a little warm up before heading out for a fly tonight. Warm up was an understatement. My QAV-R spun a little out of control and then went “pop” and motor 3 ESC started smoking up as she fell out the sky. It was still cooking when I got to it so I pulled the battery off to hopefully stop any damage happening to the pcb or flight controller. Thankfully no damage. Now time to put some little bees on, and man what a difference from afro’s to little bees. No more afro’s for me.
It has been a great weekend for flying. For me it nearly wasn’t, when I got home Friday I was in a fowl mood and I thought a quick flight would solve some of my frustration. However that was not to be the case, I got more irritable, my quad was not responding properly and one of the motors was only kicking in every now and then. I blamed the ESC’s, they are old anyway and I had a few other issues with them not so long ago, but fixed that up in blheli suite by syncing them all with the first ESC. The problem that I was left with is that I only have 1 quad and now I cant fly it, and that you can only buy ESC’s online, which meant I was not going to fly this weekend. So while trying to still be positive I thought I would be pro active and start pulling the old ESC’s out so it wouldn’t take as long to get back in the air once my new ones arrived. It was in this moment that I noticed that there was a broken solder join on one of the wires. A big smile came across my face and I started to fix this issue up and to make sure it would not happen again. About 20 minutes later I was up in the air again. Magic. However I do have 8 littlebee 20 amp blheli_s ESC’s coming and some other parts to have a back up quad. With being revitalised I also 3d printed a mount for my mobuis. I ended up making 2, the first 1 just didn’t have the right angle. Hopefully the second one is the right angle. I guess I’ll have to wait til I get home from work to test that out.
Its been a while since my QAV 250 has been airborne. It had a terrible crash (well a lot of terrible crashes) while I was a beginner. Other than ordering another bottom plate from the states, it got shelved. Good thing for me is that I don’t throw things a way, so when I had a brain storm of super gluing it all back together, it actually worked. It seems stiff enough and I’m not going to be using it as rough as I use to, it will be used with my mobius camera for some videography. I had used most of the electronics on my QAV-R so I have had to order up some parts. I’m about 2 parcels away from getting this old bird up in the sky. I got pretty excited today when my Emax motors turned up.
Now that the weather is getting better I’ve been getting out more and hammering my QAV-R. Been loving it, I still have a video to make of my trip to Renmark, South Australia. Well yesterday I was giving my quad a little to much still and damaged the top plate, where the VTX antenna sticks out. Which is not good, can’t fly FPV if you ain’t got an antenna. So I had to improvise, and quite quickly at that, because if I got this fixed soon, I could get one more flight in before dark. I took to the top plate with a 6.5 mm drill not far from where it was originally located and presto. It looks neat, tidy and out of reach of any more potential damage. I did order another plate, but probably wont bother with it until I total this one. Oh yeah I did get one more flight in.
Pretty pumped, I have been able to use my 3D printer to create my first quad. I made it using OpenScad, which is a pretty cool 3d making app and best of all it is free. As you can see from the photo my top board has its holes slightly out of whack (this has been fixed just before I put this blog up, but still need to print it). I am still a little worried I haven’t allowed enough room for the esc’s, and thinking this will be a challenge. Also I haven’t put any holes in yet for the FPV camera. The reasoning for this is, I’ll test how it flies LOS and if any good I will put the markings in for the camera. When I get back from Queensland early next month I will start putting this together and will have a follow up blog on it. In the mean time I’ll keep getting my air time with my QAV-R.
My other new toys consist of the Taranis and XSR receiver. I so was never going to get a Taranis, I did not want to be like everyone else … but as it was pointed out to me, ‘There is a reason why everyone has one’ and he was absolutely right. The SBUS feature is my favourite as you can have a really light receiver with 8 channels with one wire, how sweet is that. The menu took a bit of getting use to, but once you’ve been over it a couple of times you feel at home. Also the feel of the Taranis in your hands, just has that feeling that it belongs there.